Sanctuary of San Gabriele dell'Addolorata
St. Gabriel of the Addolorata (Francesco Possenti) is one of the most popular saints in the world. Its sanctuary, set like a pearl in the wonderful setting of the Gran Sasso Teramano, is visited each year by about two million pilgrims. The construction of the first basilica, together with that of the convent, was begun in 1216 and restored in 1590. The ancient church was then enlarged in 1908, the dome was embellished in 1920, and in 1929 it was enriched by the elegant facade. The new sanctuary, designed in the sixties and built in the seventies, extends its arms to the four cardinal points and in the section recalls the outline of a large ship, symbol of the church on its way. 90 meters long and 30 meters wide, the grandiose sanctuary in white concrete and steel can hold 12,000 people.