Cosa vedere a Teramo
Teramo, capital of the province, is in a hilly area that, under the slopes of the Gran Sasso, slopes towards the coast with rich vegetation of vineyards and olive groves.
The city has ancient origins, having been inhabited since prehistoric times. It was conquered in 290 BC by the Romans who built the city on the pre-existing settlement, of which there is a necropolis dating back to the Iron Age. Under the imperial dominion, it witnessed a long golden period, traces of which remain in the temples, in the thermal baths, in the theatres and in a whole series of monuments today submerged by the new city, wanted by Adriano. Set on fire by the Visigoths, it was later conquered by the Lombards and annexed to the Duchy of Spoleto. Then came the Norman period and, in the middle of the fourteenth century, the Angevin dominion. After that prosperity returned, but between 1300 and 1400 the city of Teramo was torn apart by the struggles between the factions of the Melatino and the De Vallo until 1421 when Braccio Fortebraccio da Montone ousted them from the command of the city. From 1438 for five years the city was held by Francesco Sforza to then pass to Alfonso of Aragon. After the Spanish succession war, it ended up under the Austrian domination and, in 1798, under the French one. In 1815, after the revolt against the government of Murat, the Aprutine city returned to the Kingdom of Naples and followed its fortunes to the unity of Italy.
Undoubtedly, the three monuments that are the symbol of the city are to be visited, which are within easy reach of each other, the Cathedral and the Roman Theater and the Amphitheater. In the heart of the city is the Basilica Cathedral built in 1158, was enlarged in the fourteenth century and, from the fifteenth century until today, has been the subject of various interventions. The façade is already evident, with a Romanesque style dominating the lower thirteenth century and the raised part with herringbone bricks closed by a fourteenth-century Gothic battlement. Inside there are important works by Abruzzese artists: the most valuable piece is surely the silver frontal of Nicola da Guardiagrele, executed in fifteen years, and consists of thirty-four square panels plus a rectangular one depicting sacred scenes.
The Roman Theater dates back to around 30 BC. The stands reserved for the public, with a diameter of 78 meters, built in travertine and supported by twenty arches, could accommodate about three thousand spectators. A few meters to the west there was also the Amphitheater, dating back to the III-IV century and of modest size. Just outside the walls stands the ancient Sanctuary dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie. It was built in 1153 taking its origin from the church of a Benedictine monastery named after Sant’Angelo delle Donne. At the beginning of 1900, the Church was restored and modified in the façade. On the high altar, there is the beautiful wooden statue of the Virgin, dating back to the century XV and attributed to Silvestro dell’Aquila. The Monica Castle, which can only be visited outside, dates back to the Middle Ages with its own very characteristic village. Also worth seeing are the churches of San Getulio and Sant’Antonio and the ancient church of Sant ’Anna, as well as the Archaeological Museum and the Civic Art Gallery.
At 4 km from the historic centre stands the Astronomical Observatory of Collurania, founded by Vincenzo Cerulli in 1890 who donated it to the State in 1917. From his telescope, Cerulli discovered an asteroid to which he gave the name of Interamnia (the ancient Latin name of Teramo). Rich in sporting and cultural events, the town is famous above all for the Interamnia Cup held in early July and is considered the handball Olympiad. Youth teams from all over the world participate in it.